Working Dogs: Poisons on Farm

What products can be poisonous to your working dogs?

Dogs' sense of smell is noted to be 10000 times stronger than their human counterparts. While we are not sure if they differentiate between what smells “good” or just “interesting”, we do know they have a habit of sticking their nose in something that might cause them some harm.

While your team of working dogs are around things that some other dogs would be around, it is worth noting that there are some dangers to your team on the farm.

So what to look out for? While we have to keep our farms functioning, keep an eye on the following:

  • Rat-bait poisoning (dogs love to eat these baits)
  • Anti-freeze (again open bottles or even spills are enough to cause harm)
  • Insecticides, herbicides, fertilizers, solvents and garden pesticides
  • Medication, especially accidental access or over dosage of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory products.

It is also of note to exercise caution with any off-label use of human or farm livestock medications, including antibiotics. Different dosages in animals can cause serious issues.

Keeping a note of these products on your farm and ensuring dogs do not have access to them when you are not looking, could save a life. If you do notice your dog is unwell and suspect poisoning, a trip to the vets is a priority.

- Hugh Hasselman


This product has been added to your cart